Focusing on protection, order, and strength, the scholars of this sphere tap into the elemental powers of earth. Resonating with lawful and neutral tendencies, scholars who are chaotic cannot choose this sphere as a discipline.
All scholars have the option of choosing a minor field of study to complement their major, a choice which grants them access to the lesser spells of that sphere. The increased awareness of both forms of magic sometimes lends greater insight into the Art than either alone, allowing for certain 'mixed-sphere' abilities, such as fire and earth combining to form lava.
- Earth/Water: with mineral-infused waters, a mage of these spheres may burn away his foes even as he heals and protects his allies.
- Earth/Void: wrought of clockwork and powered by darkness, the dedicant of these magics sheds a portion of her mortality to embrace the cold indifference of her power.
- Earth/Spirit: reinforcing magic and mind with the power of the earth, a priest of these magics makes the very earth his spirit's abode.
- Earth/Air: with powers as varied and hardened as the spheres she draws from, an adept of stone and wind makes for a crafty opponent indeed.
- Earth/Fire: masters of metal and forging, the smiths of these spheres are known for their handiwork.
Those scholars who pursue the same minor sphere as major have opted instead to focus their efforts narrowly on one specific branch of magic, forgoing the broader understanding of magic to gain insight into the greater spells of their chosen sphere. Even here there is disagreement and diversity of thought; many masters of greater magic follow distinct paths of research as they delve deeply to gain understanding of the the Art.
- Path of the Stoneshaper: embracing the art of stonecraft and the power of earthen runes, the knowledge of these formidable magi runs as deep as the earth they quarry.
- Path of the Wakened Stone: the deep, subtle song of the earth resonates with the disciples of this path, whose communion with the stone itself is outmatched by none.
- Path of the Geomancer: with a scholarly appreciation for the varied powers of earth, those who are called geomancers are renowned for the breadth of their knowledge.