Some have asked for guidelines on what the immortals look for when
rewarding or punishing accounts. To put it simply, accounts are
rewarded for good roleplay and punished for poor RP, cheating, or
Some tips to gaining notice:
* Roleplay well and often. You're much more likely to be noticed
if you're out talking to people than if you keep to yourself.
Even if your character isn't friendly or talkative, you can be
visibly and noticeably unfriendly/taciturn/grumpy/etc.
* Play to hero rank, and play your hero consistently. A lot of
people complain that they're not noticed, but they never rank
past level 30 or so. We try to pay attention to everyone, but
the fact is, the most interesting interactions happen at the
* Stick with your role even if it's a difficult one. Impressive:
A Champion who stays around even if the forces of evil slay him
twice daily. Not impressive: A Raider who deletes because he got
marked too many times.
* Play an original role, and play it well.
* Use (or at least approximate) proper grammar, spelling, and
Some ways you can gain unfavorable attention:
* Break the rules
* Speak OOC on IC channels
* Act in ways inconsistent with the role you're playing.
Example: A Raider whose background claims they're vicious
and cruel, but who is actually very nice to everyone.
Example 2: A Champion who groups with shuddeni
* Act immature (emoting dumb/silly/OOC things, verbally abusing
people on the OOC channel, flipping out because someone kills
* Abuse bugs, or take advantage of things that you should
know are bugs.
If you think your account should have more privileges than it
does, you're probably either not doing things on the first list,
or you may be doing things on the second list.
The FAQ answers basic questions about the game and gives tips for play.
The Basic Commands Cheatsheet pdf is a quick and easy printable reference of basic commands.
You can also check game helpfiles on a variety of topics to guide you through the playing of Avendar. Simply type the topic into the search box (or while in the game, type: help <topic>).
Here's a list of general topics to get you started (type your choice into the box):
- getting started - The basics of Avendar and MUDding in general.
- information - How to get info on yourself and your surroundings.
- moving around - How to move around in the world of Avendar.
- interaction - How to interact with objects and items in Avendar.
- communication - How to communicate with others in Avendar.
- grouping - How to group together with others in Avendar.
- combat - How to engage (and survive!) combat in Avendar.
Be sure to pay attention to the "See Also" located at the bottom of many of the helpfiles, as they often point to other useful pieces of information on the topic you're reading on.