Scholars choose both a major and minor element to learn from. The choice
of a minor element determines a smaller component of the scholar's spell
repertoire than the major choice, furnishing the scholar with a chance to
gain more variety in spell types.
In some cases, choosing a minor which differs from the major will make
certain 'mixed-sphere' abilities available; for example, majoring in fire
and minoring in earth opens up the capacity to summon elementals of lava.
On the other hand, choosing a minor to be the same as the major will open up
the chosen sphere's greater spells, which offer powerful control over that
See also: MAJOR, GREATER, MAGIC
The FAQ answers basic questions about the game and gives tips for play.
The Basic Commands Cheatsheet pdf is a quick and easy printable reference of basic commands.
You can also check game helpfiles on a variety of topics to guide you through the playing of Avendar. Simply type the topic into the search box (or while in the game, type: help <topic>).
Here's a list of general topics to get you started (type your choice into the box):
- getting started - The basics of Avendar and MUDding in general.
- information - How to get info on yourself and your surroundings.
- moving around - How to move around in the world of Avendar.
- interaction - How to interact with objects and items in Avendar.
- communication - How to communicate with others in Avendar.
- grouping - How to group together with others in Avendar.
- combat - How to engage (and survive!) combat in Avendar.
Be sure to pay attention to the "See Also" located at the bottom of many of the helpfiles, as they often point to other useful pieces of information on the topic you're reading on.