Rules of Avendar
Your presence here is a privilege, not a right. Violations of the rules
listed below will result in loss of privileges. You are responsible for
knowing these rules and the contents of any help files mentioned here.
1. MULTIPLAYING is forbidden, and will result in loss of your characters.
Accomplices will be punished. See HELP MULTICHAR for more information.
The following are examples of multiplay:
* Helping your own characters with other characters you own. This includes
dying with one character, then coming on with another to loot the corpse
or altar, as well as dropping items or selling items and then getting or
buying them with another of your characters.
* Mixing character knowledge (character A cannot know things only character
B would know).
* Playing two characters concurrently that know each other or are related.
* Using knowledge from one character to benefit another.
* Multiple concurrent logins.
2. ROLEPLAYING is mandatory. OOC speech is not allowed outside of the
OOC channel. Read HELP ROLEPLAYING to learn what this is all about.
3. OOC INFORMATION should not be abused in the game. This includes
things like telling people to log onto a character because you are in a
PK situation and need help, or giving items to your friends' newbies just
because you know them. Read HELP OOCINFO for more information.
4. EXPLOITING BUGS in any way will not be tolerated. If you something
that appears to be a bug, you can use the BUG command to notify the staff.
See HELP BUG for details.
5. PLAYERKILLING and PLAYERSTEALING are allowed and even encouraged, but
must happen within the bounds of roleplaying and are subject to certain
limits and restrictions. Read HELP ROLEPLAYING GUIDELINES for more information.
6. QUITTING OUT FROM PK less than 15 minutes after an attempt was made upon
you or after looting a corpse, or less than 30 minutes after you initiated a
PK attempt is poor sportsmanship and roleplay, and a pattern of this
behaviour will not be tolerated. Even if you observe the 15/30 minute waiting
period, you may still be called up if you display a pattern of ASAP quit-outs.
If circumstances arise when this is not possible (sometimes RL does intrude),
you should notify the other player(s) involved via OOC to inform them. But
such situations should be rare exceptions, not the rule, as stated above.
7. DESCRIPTIONS and BACKGROUNDS are required for all characters: a complete
description by level 10, and a complete background by level 25.
Backgrounds should be free of violent sexual content, explicitly-depicted or not.
If you have a question as to whether something is acceptable, please err on the
side of caution, and leave it out.
It is never acceptable to have a placeholder in your background or description.
This includes but is not limited to ".", "space", "will have this soon", and so on.
Consequences for violating this begin at requiring the offender to clear the
placeholder and escalate. Repeated offenders may be forbidden to play until
the background is inserted. If you are made to clear your background and continue
leveling tasks after this has been done, you will be removed from play.
Best practice for background length is 1-2 paragraphs, of 500 words or less.
8. SPAMMING, BOTTING, and other forms of filling up communication channels,
advanced scripting, or automated grinding is forbidden.
9. ACCOUNTS: Each player is allowed precisely one (1) account. If you forget
your account information, contact the Avendar staff via a forum message or
an email to email@example.com.
10. HARRASSMENT: Harassing other players is against the rules.
11. ADULT ROLEPLAY is permitted only if and when you have the clear and
expressly stated OOC consent of all players present. Extreme violence, sexual
or otherwise (torture, rape, etc), must also have clearly stated OOC consent
from all present. Keep in mind that this is a fantasy adventure MUD, not an
adult MUD, and you may be interacting with minors. You, not Avendar and the
game staff, are personally responsible for ensuring that any sexually explicit
and graphic interactions are legal and seen only by those who have given
Roleplay of pedophilia will not be tolerated under any circumstances,
regardless of consent.
See also: MULTICHAR, OOCINFO, ROLEPLAYING, ROLEPLAYING GUIDELINES,
DESCRIPTION, BACKGROUND, HARASSMENT
The FAQ answers basic questions about the game and gives tips for play.
The Basic Commands Cheatsheet pdf is a quick and easy printable reference of basic commands.
You can also check game helpfiles on a variety of topics to guide you through the playing of Avendar. Simply type the topic into the search box (or while in the game, type: help <topic>).
Here's a list of general topics to get you started (type your choice into the box):
- getting started - The basics of Avendar and MUDding in general.
- information - How to get info on yourself and your surroundings.
- moving around - How to move around in the world of Avendar.
- interaction - How to interact with objects and items in Avendar.
- communication - How to communicate with others in Avendar.
- grouping - How to group together with others in Avendar.
- combat - How to engage (and survive!) combat in Avendar.
Be sure to pay attention to the "See Also" located at the bottom of many of the helpfiles, as they often point to other useful pieces of information on the topic you're reading on.