Minor Air Inconsistency

Finally, a place for suggestions, but please read the rules and disclaimers first.
slimicy

Minor Air Inconsistency

Post by slimicy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:31 pm

So I see flight is now a Major Air Spell. I'd like it to be included in a Minor, but can understand it at Major, flight is pretty powerful. But if it's going to stay that way, I think Controlled Flight needs to be taken out of Minor Utility and/or be reworded. It doesn't make sense that I'm getting a skill in the 20's that the helpfile says I'm getting because I've been studying flight for so long... but I never actually got the flight spell. Minor Air kind of just feels different (less useful) without flight/invis/teleport... but this just feels thematically wrong.
Steve the Black

Post by Steve the Black » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:18 pm

It is pretty strange that they get Controlled Flight but not Fly. From a gameplay standpoint it is certainly still useful, as everyone has access to Fly potions, and controlled flight should also work with the various other means of flight, in theory. But you have a point, thematically it doesn't quite add up.

The problem is if we remove it, what exactly IS still in minor air? It seems it has been stripped of almost everything worthwhile. It's pretty much just Gust and Floating Disc at this point.

Removing Invisibility I get because it's actually a very powerful spell, in both PvP and PvE. And although there are ways for anyone to get invisibility, they are limited in quantity.

Fly, while definitely powerful, is also ubiquitous. Flight potions are cheap and common enough that any Hero can maintain them as often as needed, under normal circumstances. At the end of the day, having the Fly spell is just a way to save some gold. Given that, I don't think it will exactly break the game's balance to have it returned to minor air.