Update 29 Jan 2018

For general discussion of the game.
aunes

Re: Update 29 Jan 2018

Post by aunes » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:52 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for the continued work. It makes me happy to hear that things are changing and improving. :)
Steve the Black

Post by Steve the Black » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:55 pm

I like almost every change here and am excited about it, except the regen nerf.

Nothing takes breaks immersion and reminds me I'm playing a game quite like hitting enter every 30 seconds for 2-5 minutes while waiting for numbers to go up.

I agree that higher regen has allowed people to do content without a requisite WS/WT, but is that such a terrible thing? I kinda liked the meta where having a healer online wasn't the primary factor determining what you could and couldn't do.

In any case, I am excited to make a ranger and try out the new and improved archery and pets. As soon as I can log in, anyway.

Quick question: it says I need to name my pet the first time I summon it, and it's species is randomly generated. Am I going to know what my pet is before I name it? Or am I going to end up with a crocodile named "Fluffy"?

Edit: On second thought, a croc named Fluffy sounds awesome.
Last edited by Steve the Black on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neongrey
Ugh, am I a manager? I think I'm a manager

Post by neongrey » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:02 pm

Yeah for now you need to name the pet blind. Might change later or let you rename it or something or w/e but you are just gonna have to deal with a snake named Fluffy for now. Don't shame Fluffy, hehe.
Anghwyr

Post by Anghwyr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:28 am

Steve the Black wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:55 pm
I like almost every change here and am excited about it, except the regen nerf.

Nothing takes breaks immersion and reminds me I'm playing a game quite like hitting enter every 30 seconds for 2-5 minutes while waiting for numbers to go up.

I agree that higher regen has allowed people to do content without a requisite WS/WT, but is that such a terrible thing? I kinda liked the meta where having a healer online wasn't the primary factor determining what you could and couldn't do.
I am sure it will be a period of adjustment. Maybe we have to adjust to not fighting mobs that are 10 levels above our own for good xp. If you fight easier mobs, you won't need as much regen between fights. And on the plus side - healing skills and spells mean more again now.

And at least now the way you are used to play your class in terms of recovery doesn't change completely the moment you have an adrenaline timer on you.
neongrey

Post by neongrey » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:39 am

Here's our first compilation of the bugfixes we've put out since release:

* Settings is a new general command players can use to see some of their character configuration. See HELP SETTINGS.
* Fixed a crash which could occur during game shutdown.
* Made less likely a crash caused by deleting more characters on accounts with extreme numbers of characters already deleted.
* Fixed numerous places in which strings were being erroneously freed, causing odd behavior and instability.
* Identify has been partially rewritten to provide more consistent output.
* Fixed a crash which could occur when mobs tried to pick up disarmed items.
* Fixed a crash caused by the poison weapon flag triggering.
* Detect evil, detect good, and detect magic no longer erroneously reference eyes when casting them.
* Updated scholar guildmasters to teach scan when appropriate.
* Fixed duration of armor/shield/detect invis when interacting with durable magics.
* Wings of flame can no longer be cast underwater.
* Fixed flare not healing as intended, and made it use the proper healing function when it does.
* Many titles for void scholar have been rewritten.
* Fixed incorrect duration on harvest of souls.
* Fixed a crash caused by rune of embers' triggering in combat, and lowered its trigger rate.
* Lowered the rate of effect on dive to match that of cross.
* Fixed Nariel's whistle pets not avoiding snares made via the set snare skill.
* Additional error checking added to nock when drawing from a quiver.
* Fixed archery not lagging the user should the arrow miss.
* Fixed incorrect damage verb being used when using a bow bash with dual wield.
* Poultice no longer erroneously uses its poison and disease removal on the ranger rather than his target.
* Drag has a new implementation, and now allows pets to follow when their master drags a corpse to an adjacent room.
* Cunning eye now properly grants detect hidden instead of detect invis.
* Watchers now receive the correct amount of mana per level.
* Fixed incorrect number of slots used for mind's eye.
* Removed cooldown from flash powder, lowered its mana cost, and removed its save in favor of a different check.
* Harrudim talc now costs less mana, does more consistent lag, and hits more consistently across levels.
* Rynath's brew's cost has been lowered and the amount of damage it deals per tick has been increased.
* Some building additions to give extra information to new players when appropriate.
* Skill group and echo corrections.
Aldras

Post by Aldras » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:59 am

Just curious as to reasons behind the decision to make the, I forget exact wording, targeting string not recognize short hand of names?
Steve the Black

Post by Steve the Black » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:52 pm

Basically it was causing a lot of problems with targeting items if that phase appeared anywhere (even in the middle of a word) within the long list of appropriate names for a mob. For example, I couldn't target my arrow bag as a Ranger, because the letters "b", "a", and "g" appeared somewhere in the description of my pet.
neongrey

Post by neongrey » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:07 pm

Yeah that's basically it. We've kept it in a position where it can be reverted if this doesn't work out, but the gist is really that it was at best a feature that was offering some small convenience but was also causing actual problems. You had things like 'ard' targeting lizards, etc.
Aldras

Post by Aldras » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:57 pm

Oh wow, makes sense. I just know its tedious af now buffing groups. I suspect some silly character names coming down the pipes though to make targeting a pain too. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity!
Pretty cool seeing change logs everyday! Whatever youre doing is working because i saw 13 people logged at once the other day!? Youre def putting wind back into the sails!
neongrey

Post by neongrey » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:05 pm

Yeah, it was hard to be sure how many people actually used the feature too is the thing-- we do ask people keep the names reasonable because of typing issues so if that comes up we might need to talk to people. Unfortunately it's an either/or situation, we can't have only part of the functionality for player names but have mobs just use whole words.

Really nice to see so many people lately, too-- lot of genuine newbies too! Legitimately we're having people on 24 hours a day a lot of the time again, which is fun-- half the reasons we update at the times that we do is that that's the time with the fewest people and it's not nobody.