Rhaudet Senehv the Prince of Thieves, Researcher of Avendar

For posting cool fight and RP logs, and about your dead characters!
Kudrov

Rhaudet Senehv the Prince of Thieves, Researcher of Avendar

Post by Kudrov » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:23 pm

After more than three (in game) decades and seven real-life months, Rhaudet has officially retired. Given my new responsibilities, I decided to send him off on a long-term research trip to celebrate his 50th birthday rather than see him waste away and hoard limited equipment.

I can't really fit everyone into one post, nor is my memory good enough to give the proper shout-outs. So, to everyone who had a hand in making Rhaudet a special experience for me, thank you. Otherwise, I will settle for two very special acknowledgments.

Arduihn - Rhaudet had a lot of traveling buddies over his years, but Arduihn was probably the only person he considered a friend. Our interactions kept the wheels rolling on my train for a lot longer than I ever anticipated. Thanks for everything.

Jacharan - For a real-life academic, getting a chance to interview and receive Chadraln's sigil was the ultimate feather in my cap. I wish a few more of the grand aspirations Rhaudet talked about with you could have come true, but I am more than satisfied with the way things turned out.

I'll be posting his descriptions and background shortly.
"I was required to exchange chimeras of boundless grandeur for realities of little worth." - Mary Shelley
Anghwyr

Post by Anghwyr » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:23 pm

Sounds like a cool character.

How did you approach rp'ing research in game, in a world that is rather static and a class that doesn't have an innate explore system (like forgemasters or alchemists)?

Spoken as one researcher to another ;-). I might join in once necro's are back on the redesign board.
Kudrov

Post by Kudrov » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:17 pm

Well, Rhaudet's angle was that he wanted to explore and document all of Avendar's ruins, with the ultimate goal of finding ancient alatharyan ruins and leading an excavation. He joined the thieves guild to gain the skills to explore these ruins and slip past anything nasty inside.

This actually worked out well for keeping long-term interest in the character; thieves are one of the most versatile classes in the game, and there was quite a bit of exploring I could do even without a group. I was a bit worried when I created about not having a class with an explore system leading to quick burnout, but there were honestly enough ruins in the game to keep me occupied for a very long time (I can think of one notable location I never made it to).

Oh, and my normal plug: Join us!
"I was required to exchange chimeras of boundless grandeur for realities of little worth." - Mary Shelley
Kudrov

Post by Kudrov » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:37 am

And, as promised, Rhaudet through the ages:

Youth

A human man of a lean build and a slightly tanned complexion, Rhaudet Senehv is before you. Thin strands of greasy, light brown hair hang loosely to just above the base of his neck. His facial features are even, though somewhat plain, and, like his body, could best be described as slender. A pair of light blue eyes are set deeply into their sockets, and, in sharp contrast to his modestly unkempt appearance, rows of brilliant white teeth are often visible behind his thin lips.

Early 30s

A human man of a lean build and a slightly tanned complexion, Rhaudet Senehv is before you. A well-kempt head of thin, light brown hair, streaked with a few lines of premature grey, falls in waves from his head before ending neatly at the base of his neck. His face is clean-shaven, and his slender facial features are even, though marked by an occasional nick or small scar. A pair of light blue, almond-shaped eyes are set deeply into their sockets, though a few crow’s feat have begun to form along the edges of his eyes. A few faint lines around his thin lips, the telltale signs of a longtime pipe smoker, draw attention to rows of white teeth.

Early 40s

A human man of a lean build and a slightly tanned complexion, Rhaudet Senehv is before you. The color of his hair has largely faded to grey, though a few strands of light brown still streak his hair. Despite this loss of color, the hair is still well kempt, falling in waves from his head before ending neatly at the base of his neck. His face is clean-shaven, and his slender facial features are even, framed by faint wrinkled lines on his forehead. A pair of light blue, almond-shaped eyes are set deeply into their sockets, though crow’s feat have firmly taken root along the edges of his eyes. Well-defined lines around his thin lips, the telltale signs of a longtime pipe smoker, draw attention to rows of white teeth. Branded upon his arm is the brazen mark of an ever-flowing hourglass.

Alas, I never made a description for his late 40s/early 50s. By that point I had already decided upon his retirement, and my energy was needed elsewhere.
Azurik

Post by Azurik » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:27 pm

Kudrov wrote:Arduihn - Rhaudet had a lot of traveling buddies over his years, but Arduihn was probably the only person he considered a friend. Our interactions kept the wheels rolling on my train for a lot longer than I ever anticipated. Thanks for everything.
Likewise, I feel Rhaudet and Arduihn kind of fed off of each other to keep going there the past couple of months. So few characters ever got close enough to Arduihn to understand what was he was about. And of those few, Rhaudet was the only character that Arduihn would have called a friend.

I really hated to let Arduihn go, as I was still really interested in the character and had invested so much into him. But he couldn't seem to get anywhere with his role and the drain of having to start over every week as everyone else got bored and created something new just got to be too much. Especially when starting over with someone meant starting over twice, haha.

Anyway, kudos to you for sticking it out as long as you did and on such a well played character.