PAFO?

For general discussion of the game.
coutGG

PAFO?

Post by coutGG » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:51 am

With the new staff(?), I was just curious if this philosophy is going to be as strict as it has been in the past? I might be getting ahead of myself, but just wanted to know what the current IM's feelings are regarding this.
Thanks
neongrey
Ugh, am I a manager? I think I'm a manager

Post by neongrey » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:58 am

nobody on staff at present is new-new, but I mean by and large knowing how to actually play the game is not and should not be secret knowledge, and I don't think that's been the case for some time.

For other stuff, like, oh, I dunno, how to get through an expedition area, the sort of thing that you'd be expected to learn about within the game itself as your character (regardless of whether people roleplay it thoroughly...), I think it's best of people are still circumspect about that sort of thing.

But, you know, common sense insofar as spoilers go, as a rule. The answer to a question is never and should never be PAFO.
Landeyda

Post by Landeyda » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:44 pm

A new issue is the code has been completely released. I've been poring through it for reasons of general curiosity, and have learned a lot of about mechanics I never truly understood in-game.
neongrey
Ugh, am I a manager? I think I'm a manager

Post by neongrey » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:48 pm

You can call that an issue if you want, but if it's an issue at all, it's not an issue for players*. If any appreciable advantage to a player is gained by reading the game's code over a player who hasn't or can't, that's a failure in documentation, and that's a failure in design. Design is a little outside of our ability to correct right now, but I've always strived for transparency in documentation; I've kept a decorous veil over hard damage numbers but as the game itself never displays those to you, that's of little direct use in play anyway. But it's a design issue that needs to be fixed and the answer was never frantically pulling the blankets up.

The contents of area files, that's more what I consider to be spoiler content and I don't think I'm being entirely unreasonable in saying so.

That being said it's not really within the scope of what we're doing here to provide assistance or support with reading or interpreting the released code; like do what you will with it, but I'm neither willing nor able to help much out with that. I think Dov did offer some support on the Facebook page? Not that anyone's asked us to over here, but yeah.

*rule-abiding players, anyway; this is a new and irritating avenue for the sorts of players we've had who have no qualms with abusing bugs, but that's more an enforcement issue than a code-released issue