Help with new Ranger changes

For helping other players with the game!
gwocher

Help with new Ranger changes

Post by gwocher » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:44 am

Hello all,
I am having serious issues with the new ranger changes especially at the lower levels. Getting rid of dual wield and parry has really hindered them. I do more fleeing and sleeping then I do anything else. I also keep dying. I am having a really hard time with the quest where I have to get the Djinn blade for Aldred. Any suggestions on what a good stratedgy is for rangers now since the changes?

Thanks,
Greg WOcher
Steve the Black

Post by Steve the Black » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:55 am

Sure no problem. In reality even without parry they still have 3 defenses just like before. The tough part with Marid is he is indoors so terrain lore isn't active. And although they lost parry, they gained shared instincts but not til 22. New ranger really picks up at around that level. By then you'll have your pet, 3 defenses, tan, and archery all at your disposal. So just hold out a few more levels and you'll be fine.

Archery also gets better and better as you level up. It is usable in round now, so you can keep firing off arrows every round as long as your supplies hold out. And between wildcraft, arrowcraft, and trueshot, your supply of deadly poison bleeding arrows is effectively indefinite. Precision means you are potentially shooting for ===DAMAGE=== every round with a decent bow. It's worth the wait.
znoob

Post by znoob » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:58 pm

I play super casually and only play ranger, and I'm not having any problem. I find defenses are actually better than before with terrain lore etc. I love the changes to ranger, I just miss befriend! :( AND I HAVE A QUESTION - What determines what animal you get as a companion with nariels whistle - Is it the location where you first summon ? Or are there other factors. I don't have too much time to play so I can't start a new character every time i summon a wolf (which is okay, but I'd prefer something different). Also, what other animals CAN you summon ?
Steve the Black

Post by Steve the Black » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:56 pm

As near as I can tell, the animal you get is random and determined at creation. You just have to wait until your 20s to find out what it is.

That said, all the animals appear to be functionally similar, and in many ways almost identical. The distinction is mostly cosmetic. I've seen a few different animals so far.

In addition to wolves, I had a panther on my chaja ranger and a friend of mine had a Ssrosian (giant lizard). The guy with the lizard happened to be a Srryn, but we aren't sure if that was just a coincidence or if certain races are more likely to get themed animals.
znoob

Post by znoob » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:35 pm

its alllll about the cosmetics :D. The wolf is alright, but It used to be the best animal I could find to befriend (the silver maned wolves) when befriend used to be a thing so I've done wolves into the ground. Was hoping for something different. A hawk, panther, etc. I'll try again.
znoob

Post by znoob » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:04 am

soooooo, summoned in Nendor forest, got the wolf. Summoned on 'dry cracked plains' in savannah, got snake! :D I
neongrey
Ugh, am I a manager? I think I'm a manager

Post by neongrey » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:45 pm

The helpfile is accurate: you have no control over what animal you summon. There is also no meaningful mechanical difference between them.
znoob

Post by znoob » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:37 am

:D