[RP] Denlhor debates with Talanae on the merits of capitalism

For posting cool fight and RP logs, and about your dead characters!
Wendell

[RP] Denlhor debates with Talanae on the merits of capitalism

Post by Wendell » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:48 pm

I think this was the only time I saw this lowbie on at all, but it was one of my favorite interactions. A shame we didn't get to have more.

You tell Talae, 'Allow me to be forward, and offer an introduction. If you have not hear
d, I am General Denlhor, representative of the Federation.'

You tell Talae, 'Many have found me useful in gaining something they desire, when the pri
ce is met.'

Talae tells you, 'I know of you by name, but little else. I am happy to meet you, though
I confess I find the merchantile spirit a little ominous.'

You tell Talae, 'Oh? Forgive me if I have offended. So few look for more than the shini
ng and the curious, that it is a matter of course that others would help fascilitate such
desires.'

You sit down at the bar.

You persuade Ghonst Ardon to give you a great deal.
You buy a glass of Cuyeren chocolate stout for 1 gold, 5 silver, 5 copper.

This glass flares slightly at the top, allowing room for the foamy head
to expand. Eteched across the glass' bottom are the word 'A Product of the
Cuyeren Estate. '
It's more than half-filled with a amber liquid.

You drink beer from a glass of Cuyeren chocolate stout.
You are full.
Your thirst is quenched.
The thick beer has a rich, creamy texture, and leaves behind a pleasant aftertaste of mal
ty chocolate.

Talae tells you, 'It is not a matter of offense, but one of... how can I frame this, but
incomprehension on my part.'

Talae tells you, 'I understand, in the logical part of my mind, the idea of buying and se
lling in such a way that one can acquire more stuff to buy and so on. But the drive is q
uite unfathomable.'

You tell Talae, 'While power and control are not my aim, I must admit that- for me- the p
romise of a power beyond that the Gods used to curse my people is enough.'

You tell Talae, 'Currency, and more importantly the concept behind it, is something made
by mortals, beyond even the Gods in its physical control in this land. While not seeking
to exploit, one can not forget that there is power granted by all those who use it.'

You are full.
Your thirst is quenched.
The thick beer has a rich, creamy texture, and leaves behind a pleasant aftertaste of mal
ty chocolate.
You discard the empty container.

Talae tells you, 'I can be accused of having a skewed view on the nature of the gods and
power, but is there not freedom in... well, freedom? We carry the burdens of our various
bloods, but they are as intrinsic as the soil and the sky. We can, without power and wi
thout the manipulation of currency, make due, yes?'

You tell Talae, 'I do not doubt that many others could, yes. But my people have been out
casts for millenia, Cursed for seeking only to better ourselves, and forced to drag ourse
lves through the mud for every mortal, God, and devil to cross our paths.'

You tell Talae, 'It is more than time for us time find something to be proud of, I should
think. If it is something unique, and untouched by Those that Cursed us, then the bette
r.'

You buy a glass of Cuyeren chocolate stout for 1 gold, 4 silver, 9 copper.

You are full.
Your thirst is quenched.
ty chocolate.

Talae tells you, 'I admire the dedication toward betterment and changing life around to s
uit life itself, even if I find the means strange to me. Though... to exalt one's own bl
ood, rather than a moral or a virtue, seems perhaps laden with unnecessary pitfalls?'

You tell Talae, 'It is exactly that exultation that marks the virtue of those who have st
ood against the anger of the Gods, perhaps unfortunately. Pride in oneself is only looke
d down on by those who have never experienced the reverse.'

You tell Talae, 'And while your views are quite interesting, I would dare argue that mora
ls are inherent to many without any particular aesthetic towards the deific.'

You think, 'Did that even make sense? Pfaw.'

Talae tells you, 'Even granting the existence of the universe precedes the potential for
communion with the divine, the physical universe itself is preceeded by the Overgods -- a
thorny knot for the concept of an deistic morality.'

Talae tells you, 'I don't wish to say it's impossible to have, as you say, an aesthetic t
hat does not include the gods, but we can only go so far backwards and at that point we f
ind two creative gods and a demon.'

You tell Talae, 'Hmm. Hmm.'

You tell Talae, 'Yes. Interesting. I will admit, that the Gods did create Us, it is wit
hin our power to create and destroy- And currency, if I may bring us back around, is an i
ntrinsic value in the mortal life.'

You tell Talae, 'A representation of the mortal coil, perhaps even. Why not? A value of
creation from the initial Spark that created us all.'

You tell Talae, 'However, this power is something here. Physical, temporal, and spiritua
l. While the Gods float in Their immaterial being, currency holds more life in this plan
e than They do.'

Talae tells you, 'I apologize for the digression, my mind can wander. I suppose the issu
e that bugs me is the notion of profit. Trade is, of course, essential for specializatio
n which is essential for having a society at all. But is profit necessary?'

You tell Talae, 'We provide a service, a service that is the very building blocks of soci
ety as you say it. Is it so very much to ask for something to live on for our efforts?'

You tell Talae, 'While giving away labor may sound like a moral good, it is in fact the v
ery opposite of the Freedome you spoke of before.'

You tell Talae, 'It sounds to me as if you'd ask any and all to sign themselves into slav
ery.'

You are full.
ty chocolate.

You get a well-smoked golden-brown meerschaum pipe from a patchwork robe.

You hold a well-smoked golden-brown meerschaum pipe in your hand.

You puff carefully at the pipe, then exhale a ring of smoke.

You buy a glass of Cuyeren chocolate stout for 1 gold, 4 silver, 9 copper.

Talae tells you, 'I will resist the desire to digress into the nature of freedom and admi
t that I chose my words poorly.'

Talae tells you, 'I meant to get to this notion of individual profit versus the communual
good.'

The aromatic scent of tobacco accompanies a curl of smoke from a well-smoked golden-brown
meerschaum pipe.

You tell Talae, 'I... communual good?'

Talae tells you, 'Yes? The striving of everyone toward better lives and livelihood?'

You tell Talae, 'Have you ever dealt with the nefortu? Signed a trade negotation with th
e elders of the Yithoul temple? Hells, even the caladaran of Jandiska want what is best
for themselves, the rest be damned.'

A fragrant scent of smoke drifts from the bowl of a well-smoked golden-brown meerschaum p
ipe.

Talae tells you, 'I certainly won't deny that the universe is inhabited by all manner of
corruptive influences and moral flaws. The question then becomes what we do when faced w
ith them.'

Talae tells you, 'Which is, I suppose, a highly contextualized decision. A selfish- excu
se me a moment.'

You tell Talae, 'Of course.'

A slow curl of smoke wafts from the end of a well-smoked golden-brown meerschaum pipe.

You take a long, slow puff from the pipe, savoring the back-note of whiskey to its flavou
r. You breathe out a stream of smoke.

You buy a large plate of honey glazed goose meat with potatoes for 9 silver, 5 copper.

You eat a large plate of honey glazed goose meat with potatoes.
The goose is rich and tender, with a large portion of sweet, crispy skin. The potatoes cr
unch with goose fat on the outside, giving way to a fluffier texture beneath.

A fragrant scent of smoke drifts from the bowl of a well-smoked golden-brown meerschaum p
ipe.

You tamp lightly on the bowl of the pipe, in time with several short draws. You loose a g
entle cloud of smoke from your mouth.

Talae tells you, 'Sorry for the interruption, must be my nerves.'

You tell Talae, 'Not a problem, I assure you.'

You tamp lightly on the bowl of the pipe, in time with several short draws. You loose a
gentle cloud of smoke from your mouth.

Talae tells you, 'Anyway, contextualized response. A selfish Caladaran has a different
moral range than a shuddeni anything.'

A slow curl of smoke wafts from the end of a well-smoked golden-brown meerschaum pipe.

You tell Talae, 'But while part of me would applaud your inflated sense of morals, the ot
her part must admit that you get no where demanding changes from people who have built th
eir society for centuries.'

The aromatic scent of tobacco accompanies a curl of smoke from a well-smoked golden-brown
meerschaum pipe.

meerschaum pipe.

You tell Talae, 'It is a fair and open negotiation that gains and loses for each side, th
at is the beginning of the ideal you so desire. Once we learn something of each other, o
ur societies can find common ground.'

You tell Talae, 'That gain and loss is but just another representation of currency.'

ipe.

You tamp lightly on the bowl of the pipe, in time with several short draws. You loose a g

You are full.
ty chocolate.

Talae tells you, 'I am not sure societies necessarily have the ability to, or that it is
helpful to, find common ground at the basic level, though?'

Talae tells you, 'There are helpful means of organizing people that better the collective
whole, and there are... not.'

A slow cloud of smoke rises from a well-smoked golden-brown meerschaum pipe.

You tell Talae, 'But how would you find this utopia you describe, if not a peaceful under
standing between all races?'

You tell Talae, 'I suppose one could... wipe them out. Genocide builds all sorts of resi
stance, though.'

Talae tells you, 'Utopia, I imagine, is the creation of one perfect society rather than a
n amalgamation of flawed ones.'

You tell Talae, 'Well, I can allow my imagination to run in that direction. But then how
do you build that new, perfect society?'

You tell Talae, 'Ending currency sounds well and good, but it is not a true plan. That w
ill only force starvation and predation throughout the realm.'

You puff carefully at the pipe, then exhale a ring of smoke.

Talae tells you, 'Granted, radical change produces radical results. A softer hand does s
ound wiser.'

You tell Talae, 'It is something that trade has always helped. Soft, building steps to w
ork towards something united. I do not steal, I do not exploit. I work to build this so
ciety, and I ask only something to show my people that they can hold their heads high, ev
en with the Gods Themselves curse us.'

ipe.

You take a long draw at the pipe, then let smoke flow from your nostrils like a waterfall

A slow cloud of smoke rises from a well-smoked golden-brown meerschaum pipe.

You are full.
ty chocolate.

You buy a glass of Cuyeren chocolate stout for 1 gold, 4 silver, 2 copper.

Talae tells you, 'I still find it strange, but I am not required to understand a thing fo
r it to function. Thank you for the illuminating discussion, but I need to rest now.'

You are full.
ty chocolate.

You tell Talae, 'Will you let me not buy you a drink, before you retire?'

meerschaum pipe.

Talae tells you, 'Unfortunately the need to rest has grown urgent, but I will take you up
on that at some point.'

You tell Talae, 'Of course. Fare you well, then.'
Do ch'taren dream of translucent sheep?