Terrain Prompt While Blind

Finally, a place for suggestions, but please read the rules and disclaimers first.
Steve the Black

Terrain Prompt While Blind

Post by Steve the Black » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:29 pm

I noticed if you have the Terrain type viewable in your prompt (which you should, it's great), this still works while blind. Is that working as intended? When I was running blind yesterday I found this made it much easier to figure out where I was. On the one hand, it's not unreasonable that a blind person could tell if they were in a forest or in a city, but on the other it gives a distinct tactical advantage over anyone who isn't aware of this.
Brewksy

Re: Terrain Prompt While Blind

Post by Brewksy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:34 pm

I'm actually kind of cool with this... Being blind already carries such a huge disadvantage IMO that this would kind of even it out.

I'm still partial to being able to see "Someone is here", or at least non-descript items in your inventory that you can still use/hold/etc. It certainly would make plant useful - plant some deadly poison on them then when they're blind they try quaffing their recall potion....
taski
Immortal

Post by taski » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:20 pm

What if there was a generic room description for each terrain type, which players would read when blind?

Instead of..

n
You can't see anything!

Do..

n
Mountains
You are on uneven terrain.

Bonus: add weather info!?!?

Mountains
You are on uneven terrain. The air is cold, and snowflakes land on you.
Brewksy

Post by Brewksy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:45 pm

taski wrote:What if there was a generic room description for each terrain type, which players would read when blind?

Instead of..

n
You can't see anything!

Do..

n
Mountains

Mountains
But are they snowflakes... OR ACID ?!?!?!

PS. I agree :)
Tritone

Post by Tritone » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:52 pm

taski wrote:What if there was a generic room description for each terrain type, which players would read when blind?

Instead of..

n
You can't see anything!

Do..

n
Mountains

Mountains
I like the idea of showing the terrain type when you're blind. We have 4 other senses, after all.

Plus, it saves me the trouble of putting the terrain type into my prompt, which would only be there for blind-navigating purposes.