What quality of life changes would you appreciate in game?

For general discussion of the game.
Mandolo

What quality of life changes would you appreciate in game?

Post by Mandolo » Fri May 06, 2016 4:32 am

No game is perfect, but a lot of small, simple changes to an interface or the game can make quality of life a whole lot better while playing the game. As such, I actually like to take the time to use triggers and aliases to modify the game to make my life easier. A few examples of this that are easy to pick out are automatically recasting spells when they fall or automatically eating/drinking when you're hungry/thirsty.

Those are given, but what other easy, simple quality of life changes do you wish were in game? As for me? I take the time to actually color the echo message every time spells/skills wear off. For example, detect invis is a general spell, so when it wears off, I color it bright cyan so that it's easy for me to spot when it falls. Fire spells, like immolation and frenzy? They get a bright red treatment. Spell failures when you try to cast? Dark red, and bold, so they stick out as a red flag. Influence changes on druid? They get the bright green treatment, as does the moon Rhos in the time command and I even put a little flag in brackets saying how it affects the druid, that way I can quickly identify at a glance what skycall is doing at the moment. I've even considered going so far as coloring the auras people get on them so they stand out.

The reason I mention this is that I just looked at my trigger list, and well...

Starting to get a bit of a trigger book here.

Anyway, it brought me to thinking about how this was just all small quality of life things for me to help me quickly identify spells at a glance when they wear off. What sort of quality of life type things do you use triggers/aliases for? And what do you wish was an actual feature of the game. I personally really appreciate that you can do mudside aliases that way I can make simple ones on the fly without having to use do much thinking.
aunes

Re: What quality of life changes would you appreciate in game?

Post by aunes » Fri May 06, 2016 6:19 am

separate thing, but you should post those somewhere.
Steve the Black

Post by Steve the Black » Fri May 06, 2016 8:07 am

What client are you using? I've been using GMud for the last decade and a half (holy shit I've been playing this game for 15 years now) and I think it might be time to upgrade.
Mandolo

Post by Mandolo » Fri May 06, 2016 8:39 am

Well, not what I was hoping to start a discussion on. I use cMUD. Basically, when windows 7 was giving me a hard time with zMUD, I converted to cMUD and I paid for a license. Unfortunately, some time after, Zugg stopped development on it. That being said, it's still the most familiar client for me and everything works. Only thing that ever gives me a pain is the automapping feature, but I rather not use it anyway. It offers a lot of basic scripting wizard options, and I combine them with some manual tweaks to keep things greased. I suppose I could clean up the code a bit and do an export of the triggers, if you guys want my color code system.

Back on topic, since no one came up with suggestions like I hoped... one quality of life feature I'd like? More spells being able to be renewed before they wear out. I understand that it's a pretty big benefit and mostly reserved for group affecting spells, currently, but if you've ever played something like F/s or S/f? You tend to have a LOT of spells to keep up on people. Armor, shield, bless, immolation, zeal, frenzy... six spells, per person, in groups of six or more? Woof. Or if not that, maybe start consolidating spells as hard replacements for hybrids instead of having to burn more practices. Just better benediction management, as a whole, would be really nice.
Roadie

Post by Roadie » Fri May 06, 2016 1:27 pm

Pretty sure gcast is still a thing, or maybe I imagined being able to do that... :ugeek:
Mandolo

Post by Mandolo » Fri May 06, 2016 1:35 pm

> gcast
Huh?

> gcast immolation
Huh?

> help gcast
No help on that word.
All signs point to no, never. Was just your imagination.
Yzeek
Immortal

Post by Yzeek » Fri May 06, 2016 8:17 pm

groupcast was something that didn't work unless you had 100% in the skill. and then it would cast the buff on all your group mates at a variant cost iirc.

EDIT: FYI - help groupcast
A man who walks in darkness with a stick is blind, but a man who sticks out in darkness is...Fluorescent! -- Dorkness Rising
neongrey
Ugh, am I a manager? I think I'm a manager

Post by neongrey » Fri May 06, 2016 8:20 pm

Yeah it was some weirdo prog hack afair, it was super clunky in actual practice.
Mandolo

Post by Mandolo » Fri May 06, 2016 8:49 pm

How is it that I've never heard of this? And it costs extra mana to use? What the hell... and all it does is go through your group members one at a time with a spell. That's a god awful implementation.
neongrey
Ugh, am I a manager? I think I'm a manager

Post by neongrey » Fri May 06, 2016 9:03 pm

From what I know it was made at a time where we had zero code support so it was done entirely via prog so better implementation options were not an option so much. We pulled it iirc because yeah, way more trouble than it is worth but we are deffo interested in ways of streamlining usage.