Avendar is now on Patreon!

For general discussion of the game.
neongrey
Ugh, am I a manager? I think I'm a manager

Avendar is now on Patreon!

Post by neongrey » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:56 pm

Avendar Patreon

What is Patreon?

Patreon is a lot of things-- I suppose you could call it like an ongoing Kickstarter for creative projects. If a creator is working on something long-term or with periodic releases, this allows interested people to offer continued support, either on a per-release or monthly basis. We're going with monthly.

Why a Patreon for Avendar?

This isn't to make money for us, that's for sure. But there are operating expenses-- server bills, etc. We're covered for a good long while now, but nobody wants what happened before to happen again, and if players want to contribute-- the game is for you, so why not? Plus, there's other things we can put cash towards-- a more maintainable website, actual art that isn't stock art, that sort of thing. We're all grownups running the game, but we're not all made of money, and stuff like art in particular can get pricey.

This better not make the game pay-to-win!

One thing we're adamant on is that there is not any sort of in-game benefit for doing this. In a competitive game like this, this is critical. What you do get is this:

- A little forum title, if you want it
- A luxury holding cell, if you need to be in one for whatever reason
- There will be a well-hidden plaque in the game somewhere with acknowledgments. We have a bit of precedent for this, and this will not refer to any characters, living or dead. Perhaps once the plaque is in and the luxury holding cell is made, the first person to find it might get to have a cookie in the luxury holding cell. I will post a thing when/if that goes up.
- If you pick the option that makes us write for you, and you want the work to appear in game, and the work is suitable to appear in game, it will be in a place appropriate to the work and not be considered as sourced by any living character. Appropriate posthumous credits are probably going to be fine, case-by-case.

Basically no character is going to have even the appearance of benefit, let alone actual benefit. And in a game like this even cosmetic gear is a form of benefit, so there's none of that.

Ugh, subscription fees!

Totally optional. We can keep the game going without any of this. But if you want to help, why not?

Okay, so we're paying you to make the game now, right?

Yeah, no. Staff are not employees, they are not being paid to work. Staff in any game like this has certain responsibilities and obligations to the playerbase, but you are not, strictly speaking, the boss of us.

I donated before the game went up and--

Hit us up through any standard contact method-- notes are better than prays for this if you're doing it in-game though--, you gave more than five bucks, you can go on the plaque.

Again, the Patreon is located here.

Any additional questions, please feel free. I like to think I've got this as fair as can be for all parties.
TKD

Re: Avendar is now on Patreon!

Post by TKD » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:55 pm

Awesome. Link is saved. We'll ensure that what happened before is avoided in the future.
taski
Immortal

Post by taski » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:27 am

SWEET
Ghostey
The Ghostest with the Mostest

Post by Ghostey » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:04 pm

I'm disappointed more people aren't doing this.
neongrey

Post by neongrey » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:03 pm

It's been less than a day and Patreon's been entirely down for half of it. I'm happy that we've got anyone at holy crap first goal is made! yay!
DouglasKeith

Post by DouglasKeith » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:46 pm

Man, i go away for a long while and all sorts of things go down here. Glad to see Avendar is back up and im glad that Patreon can help the game stay running for ages to come!

I was Dil in the forums before and not too well known, but with everything deleted it seems, I went ahead and used my true name. Keep up the good work everyone!
neongrey

Post by neongrey » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:45 pm

Hehe, yeah, it's pretty exciting, thanks! Nothing too exciting going on with it, just dumping the cash into the server every month, which with our buffer means we're set up for a good long time, but it's nice to know we're stable, after what happened.