Help me roleplay!

For helping other players with the game!
Ristakaen

Help me roleplay!

Post by Ristakaen » Fri May 13, 2016 10:11 am

I want to learn to immerse myself more deeply in my character. How does my character react to in-game 'knowledge?'

For instance:
  1. How do I know 'who' is around?
  2. What's the context for 'note?'
  3. What do I see or know when I cast 'locate object?'
  4. Etc.
Thanks!
Ghostey
The Ghostest with the Mostest

Re: Help me roleplay!

Post by Ghostey » Fri May 13, 2016 12:20 pm

Ristakaen wrote:I want to learn to immerse myself more deeply in my character. How does my character react to in-game 'knowledge?'

For instance:
  4. Etc.
Thanks!
1. There are several bars/inns/gossips in Avendar, not to mention guild halls and other such things, I've always used it that way. "The guild is all abuzz about X." Hence some of the rumors that you see on the forums page and NPCs in the game.

2. Notes are basically what they are. Notes. There are courriers all over the place, scholars that can teleport/gate/disperse/use portals or whatever. It's not even a stretch to think that you could get messages around quickly. The 'subject' line of the note is where the RP portion can be put in. For instance 'a small piece of parchment folded hastily' or whatever

3. You see exactly what you see. There are also spells that allow you to scry someone and see exactly what they're wearing, or tell where they are, so locate object isn't much different in that aspect.
Steve the Black

Post by Steve the Black » Fri May 13, 2016 12:23 pm

1 How do I know 'who' is around?
Your character does IC "know" that people are around if they can see them on the Who list. As for how, different people do it different ways. The simplistic solution is to say that you "sense" a person. It's a pretty common hand-wave and nobody will asks to many questions if you use it.
You can also get a little more in-dept with it. A rogue might say they heard rumors that "X" has come out of hiding. (ie: X logged on) A mage might use a magical explanation. It's your call.

2 What's the context for 'note?'
An in-character note is assumed to be a physical piece of paper or parchment carried by messenger from one character to another. (They are very fast.) Most are written in the form of a letter.
A couple of class skills interact with Note. The Watcher skill Forgery allows you to send a note and change the sender. This represents forging a signature and bribing the messenger to lie about who it's from. High level Bards can use the Note to All ability. This sends a note to every player in the game, and represents basically plastering every major city and town with flyers and propaganda until every active adventurer (ie: player) has seen it.

3 What do I see or know when I cast 'locate object?'
It's magic, so you have some leeway here. For might part, I imagine you see and image of a room (with enough detail to get the room name) in my mind and the object I was seeking.
neongrey
Ugh, am I a manager? I think I'm a manager

Post by neongrey » Fri May 13, 2016 6:17 pm

Ristakaen wrote:I want to learn to immerse myself more deeply in my character. How does my character react to in-game 'knowledge?'

For instance:
  4. Etc.
Thanks!
Pretty much any way you choose to justify these things is fine, really, so it depends entirely on how you want your character to handle it. I know really really elaborate attempts to justify mechanical stuff tends to get really awkward-- idk, a lot of this time is pretty figleafy so disturbing the figleaf too much just strikes me as unpleasant.

Who is, you know, you can hear people are around, just know it, rumors like some people have said, that sort of thing.

Notes are written correspondence and we don't really look too hard at how it gets transmitted so fast. This is a personal annoyance but please don't call it 'a scroll', while there's lots of written stuff that does still exist on scrolls we're sort of in the place technologically where that's getting phased out, bookbinding is pretty advanced, and sheet paper is pretty accessible. I personally really dislike when people put descriptions of the physical paper in the subject line of a note-- I'd much rather actually see the subject of the note when i'm flipping through a note list, but a lot of people like putting a brief description of the paper there and it's not like there's anything wrong with doing that.

Locate object, yeah, shows you who has the item it is locating, or where the item is if it's loose. If you know what they look like or where they are or where that room is or whatever that's pretty much on you, not the spell.